Step-by-Step Restoration of Fire-Damaged Kitchen Cabinets
What happened? A candle in the kitchen caught a knife handle on fire. The fire spread from the knife, to the cabinet, and then the floor.
What was damaged? The fire charred the cabinet door, frame, box and light rail. There also was damage to the left side of oven cabinet (panel) and to the light fixture underneath the cabinet.
Cabinet composition? The cabinets are vinyl covered particle board with finished ends, painted plywood. Finish is painted and then glazed.
How was it repaired?
1. Remove crown molding, light rail, light fixture and cabinet from wall
2. Make new cabinet using existing face frame
3. Make new door for cabinet
4. Finish new cabinet and door with paint and glaze to match existing color, sheen and glaze composition
5. Make new light rail trim to match existing profile; finish to match existing color, sheen and glaze composition
6. Make new one-quarter inch side panel (23"X 60") to cover burned finish on left side of oven cabinet
7. Furnish new under cabinet light fixture to match existing style and type
8. Re-install cabinet, light rail, light fixture, crown molding and side panel to oven cabinet